Receiving state pensions when leaving abroad and types of social payments
Guarantees on receiving pensions by the RA citizens in the case of departure from the RA:
According to the Law of Armenia from 05.02.2009 “On the Right of receiving pensions and social payments”, pensioners of the RA who no longer live on the territory of the Republic of Armenia, qualify for no more than six months of payment, after leaving the country on the basis of the submitted application. The above-mentioned Law was repealed, and now pensioners who are not resident in the territory of the Republic of Armenia shall be paid by proxy, for a period which may not exceed one year. After the expiry of the power of attorney, a new claim is submitted for a new authorization for the same period.
- Citizens whose pension payments were discontinued on the grounds that they no longer reside in the territory of the Republic of Armenia, cannot restore payments by proxy. To restore these payments the citizens must submit in person, an application to the state social insurance department, where they were granted a pension.
- If a citizen of the Republic of Armenia left for permanent residence in one of the CIS countries, which provides the same type of pension, the pension paid by the Republic of Armenia shall be terminated. The said citizen residing in the territory of the CIS countries can receive a pension only on the basis of the certificate of termination of the pension of state social insurance authority of the Republic of Armenia.
The above provision stipulated in the Agreement “On guarantees of the rights of citizens of the CIS member states in the field of pensions” from March the 13th 1992. This agreement also provides that the documents relating to the working period of a person and issued prior to 01.12.1991, by the countries of the CIS (former Soviet Union members), as well as, the former Soviet Union authorities, are received with no assurances. Employers in the Republic of Armenia are not exempt from social benefit payments for the employment of foreign nationals and stateless persons.
The right to a pension for foreign nationals:
The pension rights of foreign nationals are provided for by the domestic laws and international agreements of the Republic of Armenia. Foreign nationals working in the territory of the Republic of Armenia are under obligation to make and/or contribute to social payments. Foreign nationals residing in the territory of the Republic of Armenia and/or stateless persons have the right to receive a pension in equal footing with the citizens of the Republic of Armenia, if they have made the appropriate social payments to the social fund, as per above.
Persons who are eligible for government subsidies in the Republic of Armenia:
The right to public subsidies in the Republic of Armenia are held by:
- The citizens of the Republic of Armenia;
- The foreign nationals who have a residence permit in the Republic of Armenia;
- The stateless persons;
- The persons having official refugee status in the Republic of Armenia.
The Republic of Armenia legislation provides for the following types of state benefits:
- The family benefits;
- A one-off financial assistance;
- A lump sum for the birth of a child;
- Benefits to the family of the deceased, or to persons awarded the Armenian National Hero military orders cross.